This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Here I am...

Rock you like a hurricane.

I figured out tonight that even though I'm your basic easygoing guy who doesn't see the point in brand-specific shopping, I am a total brand snob when it comes to running shoes.

Back in the day, I was a "runner". I was a skinny high-schooler who ran, as in a few miles on nothing but my feet, just about every day. It was at that time that I investigated and perfected the art of shopping for the so-called running shoes. I knew where I needed the padding, since I was a both toe-and-heel runner with slight toe tendencies. I also have average arches and one foot that's a half size bigger than the other. But mostly, I figured out which brands fit me and which brands don't. I don't like blisters, you see.

So we're in a shoe store today and although I am now (especially post-Christmas cheer) a fat fat man (see next post), I still am a toe-heel runner with toe tendencies. I just need more padding. I've never regretted getting Asics or Saucony. The thing is, the shoe store did not have those brands. I tried on a pair of Nikes (I know they have a chance of fitting me), but the only ones in my price range (sub-$50) that they had in my size (11 1/2) were these ugly gray ones that fit like Public Enemy would fit in the Mormon Tabernacle. So, I left without buying anything, and you'd know how astounding that is if you've ever seen my normal Tactical Vector Method of shopping quickly. So I'm like shoeless Joe, without the corruption.

Gotta go watch Alias now.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:29 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    See, that's pretty okay as far as I'm concerned. Some things you've just got to be brand-specific about. There's no shame in being brand specific if you have a good reason. Like 'crappy shoes give me blisters.' or 'certified red label mustard creps me out.'

    Also, I'm a little shoe-picky, becuase I've got real flat feet and a number of other problems with ridiculous names like 'plantar fasciitis.' Also, there was a summer where I walked with a wicked limp, and the pattern of walking that way made me wear a hole clear through the sole of my shoe where my big toe is. God that's a long post when I could've said "I agree."

    And as far as I'm concerned, I'm an expert on when it's okay to be brand concious, because literally 90% of my clothing falls into one of three categories: 1)Gifts 2)Things my mom subtly throws away and then replaces by leaving new ones on my bed 3)Shirts I've bought at concerts or gotten for free because of my job promoting crazy crap.

    Seriously, though. End of comment.

     
  • At 7:29 AM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    So, certified red-label mustard "creeps you out"? I don't know that I know what that is. Is that a Rockford thing?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home