This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Remembrance (no War)

I remember when I was 8 and we flew to California for vacation. My mother's cousin (Rose, I think -- can someone confirm this?) lived on the coast, and her street was on such a steep incline it seemed to be built on the side of a mountain. I especially remember to this day the large dog that my mom's cousin owned licking my face. I especially especially remember to this day my mom's cousing talking about mudslides and how tragic they could be. I didn't see any when I was out there, but my imagination went wild with what a mudslide could possibly look like. I was picturing something akin to the chocolate slide in Willy Wonka, only worse-tasting. I saw in my mind huge torrents of chocolatey mud taking out houses, poles, and large dogs, and depositing them in the ocean.

The reality we are seeing now is much, much worse. After the Tsunami in Asia and these mudslides in Cali, we clearly need to rethink this whole "living on the coasts" thing. If I were an evolutionist I would say that the sea has a habit of reclaiming its own. I'm not, so I'll put it like this: God created nature, which has awesome power and points to Him. Ignore its warning signs at your peril.

But my thoughts are prayers go out to Asia, even though they hate us Americans; and, to Californians, even though they hate us "Red-Staters". Praying for those who hate you -- there's a lesson in there somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home