This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Blogger Images



One thing about Blogger is that when they are failing at something, they eventually get around to succeeding at it. With that in mind I mention to you Blogger Images, which allows me to put an image right in the middle of this post with no "Hello" programs or HTML code. Let's try it, shall we? Problems to fix in version 2.0:
1) There's no image preview function, so I wasn't sure which image I was posting (it was in the "Allie" folder so I knew it would involve my dog, I just didn't know how).
2) The picture automatically went to the top of the page. Let's try another and see what happens: It went on top again, even above the first picture. Not exactly a model of logical functionality.

I have to give this new feature of Blogger a thumbs up because it's free, but the only people who should use it are people who are too lazy to use "Hello".

As long as I've reviewing internet apps, I have to mention the greatness that is Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4. They've got a bunch of new extensions that kick all kinds of butt, and it does the near-impossible: make the internet much better. For the life of me, I can't imagine using Internet Explorer as a main browser, even after the security upgrades in Service Pack II.
Keep IE around for sites you trust that use Active X, and use Firefox for the rest.

I apologize to the non-nerds who didn't understand that last paragraph. Just download Mozilla and play with it, you'll see. Or hire me to show you how to use it -- $40, and in a couple of hours you could be blocking the annoying ads you hate, getting rid of pop-ups in all sorts of creative ways, and literally ruling the internet. So, King ____, what'll it be?

4 Comments:

  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    I still can't believe I didn't see allie while you were here. I love that dog.

    mozilla pwnz.

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    IE hasn't had a new version in years, but there is a new version that's coming this year(supposedly in beta sometime this summer). It will kick butt. From what I understand it will actually be a new version and not just legacy code. It will have tabbed browsing and all of the security features that FF has, but it will also include anti-phishing code and things of that nature too. I'm thinking MS is actually going to win with this one. Here's a blog that is actually done by the developers from IE7, so you can find tons of things out there.

    Another good thing that MS has done was making (aka buying another company) their own spyware/adware dectection and removal program. It works surprisingly well too. Get it here.

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    Dan, IE has won this battle before, and probably will again because of our extremely lax antitrust laws that allow them to bundle it in windows. That doesn't necessarily mean that IE 7 will be better than Firefox 2 or whatever. If IE7 has the equivalent of ADBLOCK and FLASH GOT and DOM INSPECTOR and an equivalent program for IEVIEW that opens things in Firefox (fat chance) and an ARCHIVE SEARCH and NO SCRIPT and a GOOGLE Customizer and hundreds of other extension modules that you can either add or not, then I'll switch back. I'm skeptical, but like I said, they did it before.

    And anything that MS does to improve the security of the average internet user will help us all.

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Mike, I more meant win as "hey, MS is actually making a decent program instead of relying on all of the crap with gaping security flaws we made before plus some new features" as opposed to winning by percentage used (which as far as I know they still hold by far). Also, I don't think it's going to be the end for Firefox by far. Since Firefox is so adaptable, it'll always be there competing with IE. I guess one of the reasons I personally am looking forward to the new IE is because I can have much of the convienience of Firefox that I use (mainly tabbed browsing) and have it in IE where I can look at webpages that were designed to be displayed by IE and they don't get messed up (that may be surprising, but I do go to several larger websites on a regular basis and they just don't show up quite right with FF. You'd think those companies would fix it. Whoop.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home