This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Monday, October 11, 2004

Experimental Post -- Movie Capsules

Well, we have a guest contributor for this post. I don't know if he's going to work out. His name is Clueless Man, and he's easily confused. Here's his take, in capsule form, on Kill Bill vol. 1:

"Dull, dull, dull. Those are the only 3 words to describe the dialogue in this movie. It was sooooooooo slow. Ugh. And the violence, what there was of it, didn't seem realistic. I mean, at some point it became a cartoon, and then it was at a restaurant, and then it was in a snowy japanese garden. I couldn't follow. Also, having the hero O-Ren Ishi-ee get scalped in the final scene just wasn't funny. I hope she's resurrected for Vol. II. And what was with Uma Thurman predicting the future by circling O-Ren's name before she even kills the first girl? That didn't make any sense. I hope Vol. II can clear all of this up for me, and we get to see more of that Bill lady."
You see my quandry. Anything other than your basic linear plot seems to confuse this guy. And who did he think Bill was? He's a nice guy though, and I've been looking for someone cheap to counterpoint me on movies. We'll see. My own capsule of KB: V.I. goes as follows:

"If you don't know what "cool" is, just watch this movie and you'll be confronted with it in every scene. One-half of Quentin Tarrantino's revenge masterpiece, this half suffers a bit from a lack of emotional grounding and too much (often literally) cartoon violence. But even when it's shallow and bloody, it's still really cool. The swordfight scene between the Bride and the Crazy 88 is by itself worth a $4 rental. Tarrantino loves kung fu movies, and is the best director in the world at picking out music for his films. See it with Vol. II for maximum effect, for the two films balance each other out beautifully."
Movie studios: Feel free to use any of these sentences as quotes for your flashy packaging.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    Sometimes, Mike, I just want to post a comment so you know I'm still reading this and mostly nodding along with you. So, here's one of those posts. Speaking of Disneyfranchised voters, you know what I can't even imagine? Spending another four years listening to aimless liberals (that being my buzzword for people who vote democrat just to not vote republican, i.e. my cousin who told me this weekend that she couldn't believe I was considering voting for because "we have to get bush out of the white house. Why? I don't know why, because he's such a dick. Did you know he can't talk right because of all the coke he did?") copmlain about the electoral college and "stealing the election" in the even that Bush wins again. I just get a bad feeling about it.

    Now, I bring it all up because I wanted to know if we could just blame it all on Michael Eisner? Because that guy's actually a bigger douche than either presidental cantidate has been yet. And I can't imagine how much coke you ahve to do to fire anyone in the hand-animation department at disney if they won't learn to render things on computers. man. Okay, I'm out.

    PS-ever watch True Romance? It's interesting. Tarantino's first screenplay, full of an inappropriate Danny Elfman score. I think it's Danny Elfman, anyway. Plus, holy shit does Gary Oldman do some bad acting. But the plus side? He dies fast, and Bronson Pinchot finally gets a role he deserves. Sorta. I was always a Balki fan.

    PPS- What the hell is with Lost Highway not being on DVD? You always make me want to try and like David Lynch movies. I still don't, really, except there were some really compelling things about Mulholland Dr., and I probably would've been obsessed with it if it would've been picked up. As it is, it's too many loose ends, a crappy and insubstantial surprise ending and an awesome lesbian scene. Back to lurking.

     
  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    Brian, I have never seen True Romance and the only reason for that I can think of right now is the title. It sounds like a chick movie. I didn't know Balki was in it! I don't know how he could top Beverly Hills Cop 3, though.

    And about the Bush thing, I think it would be hard to be in your generation because most everyone your age has made up their minds about Bush already (often times using dubious sources) and assume that a vote for Bush is a vote for Fascism. I would want to avoid political discussion at all costs, mostly because there would be an assumption that I want Bush out of office and I don't feel like telling people to "hey now tap on the brakes there tiger -- I may vote for Bush" because it just cannot lead anywhere positive. And I wouldn't feel like being a "missionary" for Bush because he aint that great. So, I feel for you.

    Maybe I'll do a post on that whole election of 2000 thing and the tons of issues involved that people on both sides never ackowledge.

    Didn't Eisner resign? Or did I dream that? I thought he was forced out because Walt Disney's dirty dead bones didn't like the fact that the only thing Disney does that isn't a national joke -- Pixar -- left the company.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home