This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Monday, May 09, 2005

This is Looking Like a Pretty Good Day...

...despite the fact that it's 8:30 and I have already heard an Amy Grant song over our work P.A. system. If I had a nemesis, it would be Ms. Grant, though that's pretty much completely my deal and has very little to do with her. Every time I hear one of her songs, I think of the parody song my wife and I made up to "Hope Set High" while on a mission trip to a camp in Idaho. It went something like this:

Got my bong set on high
That's why I stoned tonight
I want to see the weed
I want to see the spinning lights(?)

Got my bong set on high
That's why I'm stoned tonight
Anything good happens in life
is from marijuana (last word said fast to make it sound like it's only two syllables)

Now the problem with that song is the only people who get it are likely to be offended by it. I'm blessed to have a wife who will help me come up with parody songs, though. Sorry for implicating you, sugarbeet.

Work update -- Mike under Siege, day 90 or so:
Can't get that song up there out of your head, can you? That's ok. It'll go away soon. Anyway, they're supposed to start building "the cage", which is the first domino that has to fall before I can go back to the room I was in before. Why move me 2 and a half months ago just to move me back now to the exact same spot, you ask? The answer to that is a combination of panic and bad planning. I am just a puppet (making the universal sign for puppet, which is to put my hand up like a claw and wiggle my fingers) employed to amuse the powers that be. Please, let my next job not be ruled by people who are former military.

The good news is I should be back where I belong by the end of the week.

Also at work, an amazing thing happened about a week ago. The Area Manager (the store manager's boss) has been flying in to Dallas and hanging out at our store for like 4 Fridays in a row. This would normally be horrible, but he's not a bad guy. He's way better to be around than any of our managers, that's for sure. We had a meeting one morning and he did something that made me respect (gasp) him: He gave a speech where he told us that he understands that our sales falling 60% since 1998 is not our fault (which it isn't), and that there's alot of people feeling guilty about it (which many of the "lifers" actually do, thanks to Home Office) that should understand that he is on their side. He went on to explain that our store is the best in the company at doing whatever Home Office asks (like selling extended warranties), and that we have a lot to be proud of. This was new for me. Area Managers are supposed to be hedgehogs in suits, not thoughtful people who want morale to be better.

Does this mean I'm no longer looking for a new job? Heck, no. But it does mean less complaining about this one.



3 Comments:

  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger Paul said…

    Was that the mission trip to Idaho that I was on? I think it was. Unless you went on more than one mission trip to Idaho, which I guess is possible. That was a good trip though. Geez.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    Yes, Paul, it was that same trip.

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    All day, I keep singing the George Harrison song that goes "I got my mind set on you..." and I keep thinking "I got my bong set on high." It works really well with that one.

    "But it's gonna take some ganja...a whole lot of precious ganja..."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home