This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Saturday, September 04, 2004

E-mail I got last week.

excerpt from an actual e-mail I got last week:

please forward this part back to ____ and email me tracking information and I will cc Jim so he is aware that part is coming back to him. Terrie processed this with an incorrect PO number and that is where the confusion came in I am sorry for the incontinence this may caused.

I was having a terrible day, and this really cheered me up. I didn't even notice it the first time I read it -- I had to look, and do a double take (wha...incontinence). I'm actually amazed she spelled that word right. Maybe she looked it up in the dictionary.

The people at work who rule over me by and large have ridiculously horrible writing and grammar skills. It doesn't really matter in situations like the above, because I can discern its basic meaning and she's not telling me anything important anyway. But when it gets thorny and silly is when the big bosses send out their weekly reports. Every week, the big boss would write about show much money we stand to loose if this happens or we don't do that properly. I can't take this. Lose and loose have to completely different meanings. It's not like lay and lie, which both have the basic meaning of making something horizontal. And then they start to conjugate the word, and apparently they think that lost can be spelled loosed, which is so arcane it's barely even still a word. In fact, isn't loose just an adjective, with loosen being its verb form(i.e.: loosen up, Republicans)? Ok, dictionary.com says loose is also a verb, but still...

Why doesn't anyone correct him? I guess I should address this to myself as well -- why don't I send him an e-mail explaining that what he means to say is lose, and anyone could make that mistake, and I'm his only friend in the company and that's why I'm telling him this.

The thing is, after a year in loose hell he did correct his weekly e-mail. But in his random rant e-mails, he still uses it incorrectly. It's enough to make you loose your mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home