This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

It's not you it's me

Sorry.

For not posting in 5 days.

This novel's eating up a lot of my time, k? LOL.

Writing a novel has proven to be both harder and easier than I imagined. Telling the story is easier. Dealing with my own failure to write things properly has been much, much harder. I just had to scrap a section and take it in a different direction for the good of the story. As a person who hates to do things more than once, this literally wounded me. Ok, not literally. But I nearly stuck a pen in my eye.

So I'm at 17,000 words or so, with 4 big days of writing ahead of me. My goal is to hit 30 grand by this weekend, and not have to go back over it and fix any continuity errors/horrible prose. Writing a book is hard work, man. I hope it all works out in the end. There better be a happy ending. The fun thing, in all seriousness, is sitting down to write knowing I am in control of the story, and can take it anywhere I want. It's like Choose Your Own Adventure without the choices. Because there are infinite choices.

In other news, it seems to be job interview season here. I had one last week and they haven't called back yet -- which is fine because the position had as many negatives as positives, and was really just a stop gap, like Doug Pedersen. I need a Brett Favre. I have another one on Friday for a sales positionm, which is very strange because I told them my only experience in sales is the 6 months I spent selling computers and computer accessories. I keep being honest with them in an attempt to give them any chance to back out, but they keep on going forward. Now I have this phone interview, and if I don't scare them off I get a real interview, and the whole process is going too slow for my taste, actually. It's looking like I will have to spend another Thanksgiving here in dinosaur hell. But I vow to be out by Christmas.

Peace out, yo.


2 Comments:

  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    You know...if one were to interpret those last two posts in concert, one would arrive at the conclusion that you're writing the big sex scene this weekend. So, good luck. And if you wanna know how it's done, go rent Mullholland Drive. Woo boy.

    I had to temporarily give up my novel. Sad. But too much "this is your last semester of college" bullshit was flying around me to make it plausible to write that much every day. I'll pick it up when this dies down. Or maybe I'll move on and write that movie I keep thinking about, called (tenatively) "Searching for Bobby Michaels." Have Jill explain Bobby to you if you don't know already.

    ALso, can I just add "lean pockets" on the list of things that you can eat the low-fat versions of? Lean Pockets. Lean Pockets aren't really missing out on much of anything. But, frankly, Hot Pockets aren't that good to begin with. So, again, why consume the extra calories? They don't burn the roof of your mouth any less. Back to writing a paper about wrestling and Chaucer!

     
  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    Brian,

    You're absolutely right about lean pockets. Jill also agrees.
    I had to scrap the sex scene because one of the characters involved is waiting until she gets married. You can't control these things.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home