This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Friday, December 03, 2004

It's in your head...

Here's my second observation on novel writing:

If you do it every day eventually it crowds out all other thoughts so you're just a walking zombie who's disconnected from the real world. You begin to live through the novel, and see things only in relation to the events of the novel, or as possible contributions to it. You begin to see yourself as a character, either one actually in the novel or one who could be. I had to make myself think about other things, because I had all this other crap that needed to get done. It magnified my already ridiculous levels of introspection to the point where I couldn't function properly -- moreso than usual.

Making myself get back to reality (hup there goes gravity) is probably what caused me to forget all sorts of minute but important details, and to contradict them later. If I could ever get myself sequestered in a room and just write non-stop like a real writer there's no telling how great it would be, but I probably would lose my ability to communicate with others in the process.

Jill, I, Matt (one of Jill's 6th-graders), and Matt's mom got to see a stellar NBA game last night -- Mavs vs. Houston. It eventually became Dirk Nowitski vs. Tracy McGrady, but that's not important to this blog. This is not the Sports Ignorant Blog. Talking sports would chase away my already dwindling fanbase. No, I don't want to write about that -- I want to write about the fact that the place was packed to the top with Asians. I'm assuming it's because Yao Ming plays for Houston, and he's an Asian (a Chinese/Asian to be exact), all Asians got a memo (it took a lot of paper) that they must root for Houston. That would explain why they all do. Ok, so not all -- some had team affiliations before Yao showed up, but most didn't. It's really brilliant of the NBA to market to the Asian community (and it's a big community, too -- have you seen the size of Asia on the Risk board? It's worth like 7 points), but they owe Yao some money methinks. I can't think of anyone who brought more fans to the league than Yao, except maybe Bird/Magic/Jordan.

But I was kidding about giving money to Yao. That's just like indirectly giving it to Mao, and that won't do at all.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home