This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Jury Duty -- Ominous

I get to go on Jury Duty tomorrow. My first time ever, and I'm 33 years old. Is that normal? My wife is totally jealous, since she does nothing with her free time except watch Court TV (at least if "I Detective", the worst show ever, isn't on). I am the opposite of excited, because if I have to take a day off work I want to spend that day doing nothing, or at least getting caught up on all the crap I avoid doing on a daily basis. And I have to leave my house at like 7am to get there, too. It sucks. And there's going to be a lot of waiting in lines, I can just feel it.

My hope is to be off by noon, and spending the afternoon doing all that aforementioned crap or going into work for a half day.

In other news, I saw that movie that people love, Finding Neverland, against my will last week. People love this movie, and I have a hard time figuring out exactly why. Part of the problem is my lack of interest in ever seeing Peter Pan, a film that seemed to (from afar -- I've never seen it) celebrate the joy of the child's imagination and malign the adult's sensibility. As an sensible man-child with an overactive imagination, I never knew what to do with that. I still don't.

The film is kinda interesting, and I always appreciate weird stuff, but it was so heavy-handed and contrived with the woman dying thing (I had a hard time getting into that because she was being so obviously pigheaded about the whole thing -- I mean super-stupid), and anytime more than 2 British children are in the mix the potential for overly precocious and annoying behavior is there. For me, it was a nothing movie, neither good nor bad, with no real resonating message. But that's obviously just me, judging by its 83% Rotten Tomatos rating and glowing comments therein.

One of my favorite directors, David Lynch, has done what we all thought he would do and gone completely insane. Here is the group that he is heavily involved in. At first it looked like something out of "The Onion". I can't believe this exists. This belongs in a "Bad Idea Jeans" ad, as in, "I decided to follow the Mahareeshi Yogi plan of thinking Terrorism away. I joined with a bunch of other followers and did Trancendental Meditation. We hope to unite the whole world in this way, by getting rid of government, religion, or anything resembling an idea or firm stance about anything." (Flash to screen that says: Bad Idea). Just when you thought Yogi and TM was dead, they reinvent themselves as a "Peace Government". I especially like the term "Scientifically proven principles to create peace." I'd like to see those lab results, please. I'm skeptical. If you look through the stuff, it's Hinduism dressed up in modern scientific terms. They use, for example, Quantum Physics to prove that we are all one. This crap gives me tired head.

"Peace and Safety" Hmm...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home