This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Quick Hits

Above: Aeon confirms that there is (sadly) no giant baby in this glass of water.

The "holiday season" has me doing all sorts of things that keep me from writing, and it sucks. I haven't updated this since the 9th, and I'm sorry. But this isn't one of those "I'm sorry's" that really means "You can expect this trend to continue." I'm actually sorry about it, and mean to make it up to you.

Soooo, some quick hits (because I need to keep things quick):

We did see Aeon Flux on Saturday, and it was far better than it had a right to be -- considering all the fears mentioned in my previous post turned out to be well-founded (it had a linear plot, pedestrian direction, a lame Trevor Goodchild, no giant baby, not enough violence, and I knew What the Heck Just Happened). They managed to make a good sci-fi/action movie though, and used just enough references to the look and plots of the source material to justify it being named Aeon Flux. It helped that they got the visual style of the movie correct. The cartoon was about 90% technolicious visual style, and 10% everything else. That covered over a multitude of potential problems. The story also turned out to be less of a problem than I anticpated, and truth be told was far closer to an actual Aeon Flux plot than I thought it would be. I mean, there was human cloning in it, as well as drugs that gave you access to really white brain chat-rooms. That was pretty cool.

The one thing I didn't like was the "Trevor Goodchild: Good Guy" character. I kept waiting for the twist at the end that made clear that he was actually evil, but it never came. Orin Goodchild, the bad guy, was a complete fleeb. He made James Marsden's character in Copycat look like Hannibal Lecter.

Now all they gotta do is make a sequal that contradicts everything that happened in this one...now that would be Aeon Fluxy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also knee-deep in Lost right now, having almost caught up to where the world is right now. Thankfully, there are re-runs going right now until January. All I've got to say about it right now (before my uber-post, which will happen when I catch up) is that I cannot wait for the Eko episode. I need to see what that guy's about. He's the best character ever.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is hell right now. Is this a cry for help? Am I a teenage girl? So emotional.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got to thinking about a Christmas letter, and I asked myself, "What could possibly be a better Christmas letter than this blog?" And then I thought, "Wait -- why not try to bring traffic to this blog through my Christmas letter?" So that's another thing I gotta do. Or, I might make the dog do it. I suspect many of you will find out soon, though maybe not before Christmas, because I am not very good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have officially joined the ranks of the "coffee achievers." Do we still call ourselves that?* Hey, studies have shown that one cup of black coffee a day is pretty good. It has antioxidants or somesuch. Just as good as tea, actually. Eat that, you greenies.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The sheer volume of consumer electronics being purchased at wildly discounted prices this Christmas season is flooring me as we speak. Seriously, I'm lying on the floor right now. You know, you guys should be praying for me to get a new job so I can officially post a no-holds-barred expose' of the crapulence at where I work. Right now, I'm kind of hamstrung by the fact that I still work here.

* This brings to mind a Bloom County comic from back in the 80's. Opus (the penguin) had started drinking coffee, and was reciting word-for-word the absurdist "coffee acheiver" commercial from that era, i.e., "It picks you up and never lets you down." Opus was always a sucker for TV commerical pitches, like the time he bought 100 Ronco "Salad Shooters." Anyway, he ends his speech with a question to the people who have gathered around him -- "or is it all (the coffee achiever thing) a bunch of hooey?" To which they nod emphatically in the affirmative. I think of this comic every time I grab the glass pot and pour a cup.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:14 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    This post cheered me up. I wrote a blog post for my essentially-defunct blog about the day I drank a tall white chocolate mocha before work. It was a blog post set to Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life," so pretty much, I shouldn't have a blog. I should have tiny morning segments on NPR.

     
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'll tell you what cheered me up: your comment Brian.

    I agree though; I enjoy reading your posts. Hope you have more time to update.

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger jill said…

    brian... tribute to elliott smith = good. sun kil moon's tiny cities = great. silent league = not so much.

     
  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    I don't know Jill. I think it's pretty good. Sounds like Pink Floyd a little.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home