This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Blowing my Expectations Out of Control

Last night was the Perfect Storm in terms of interesting/crazy things happening, so let me delineate them for you:

-- We looked at 7 houses, and found what might possibly be our Dream Home. We were going to put an offer on it, only to find that the picture on the listing did not match the one in our world, i.e., the real one. We still really want the house though. Not once in this whole house-hunting process did I think we might find a house this cool. Seriously. (stay tuned for more house hunting talk, which my wife suggested would be a good idea.)

-- Having blown our minds with that house, we then ate at the Genghis Grille. Not that newsworthy, I know, but let me remind myself in this space never to take the Szechuan sauce again. I've used it twice, and been gravely disappointed each time. Plus, it makes my lips burn.

-- Thanks to the House Hunting, we got home at approx. 9pm. The evening was shot, but I still wanted to go forward with my plan to install Linux on my Compaq laptop (don't worry, nerds -- this will also be a future blog topic), because I can't resist an idea like that once it gets in my head. I could not think of anything more fun than installing a brand-new (actually 2-year-old) Operating System on a computer. I still can't. In fact, I'm thinking about it right now...
Anyway, this is why you just gotta feel for my wife.

-- While the Linux install was failing/succeeding (again, just wait for it), I checked my e-mail. Lo and behold, I had 10 fresh messages! Of course, 5 of those were total spam (despite the presence of Yahoo's spam blocker -- I even got one of those "Hello, I don't know you, but I'm overseas and I need you to launder some money for me" messages), but the other 5 were legit. I'm going to concentrate on 2 right now:

1) First of all, I don't know if you, the reader, are aware of this, but I actually have a domain hosted for me by a friend of mine -- epthnation.com. Well, last night he decided to upgrade me to some sort of administrative account where I get a control panel and magic powers and most importantly, access to programs like Wordpress (a blogging program that's way better than this free Blogger). There's a bunch of programs on there. My friend, the Great Boom, set this up for me because I complained that I wasn't going to be payin' for no Wordpress as long as Blogger is free. To make a long story short, not only will I be able to figure out how to host this blog at epthnation.com (and hopefully have epth.blogspot.com automatically point to that), I get to monkey around with Wordpress to boot.

Great Boom. Great, great Boom.

2) Secondly, I get a comment on my blog from someone I don't know -- this rarely happens, as the astute reader who goes through my comments will see. Not only was this a person I don't know, it was a person whose blog I wrote about in my Cavalcade of Blogs II. Needless to say, I am now her Biggest Fan. See? That's all it takes -- a comment, and you're in. Anyway, I feel bad about what I wrote regarding her blog, even though I did give it a B+ -- the highest grade of the day. That's practically an "A!" Yeah, so that blew my mind a little bit.

The really astute reader will note that she's actually the second "person-I-don't-know-who-contacted-me-after-I-blogged-about-their-site." The first was some dude at icerocket.com, which is still the blog search engine of choice for the descriminating internet user. And by that I don't mean "descriminatory." Now with a Myspace tab for you concerned parents/ne'er-do-wells out there!

See? A note is all it takes, and I'm your friend for life. I'm not sure I like what this post is saying about me. But what did you expect?

I was up until 1:30 last night with these Linux/epthnation.com/blog issues. So forgive me if my prose lacks 'pop' this morning.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm going to let YOU feel for your wife.

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    People, if we can't handle the right to anonymously comment, then that right will be taken away. Sheesh.

    Depending on who this is, I'm either laughing or appalled.

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You may laugh. All is sanctified. ;)

     
  • At 2:46 PM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    whew.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home