This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Monday, April 25, 2005

Tying Up Loose Ends

A lot of things fall by the wayside when you force yourself to post enormous timewastes like this. This post is dedicated to clearing those loose issues up so that we can move forward as a Blog. One big thing hanging over my head is last month's Austin trip, which I was planning to do as kind of a Story in Pictures, but then I realized I had only one good picture, which would make kind of a short story. I will post that picture when I go home for lunch, because it's there and not here at work. It's worth the wait, though. You'll like it.

My trip to Austin was tremendous fun. It happened to be during the second round of the NCAA Tournament (At the hotel I got to watch the entire 2-OT end of the Forest-West Virginia game that was the best game of that whole weekend, adding to the overall greatness of it), and also happened to be during Austin's biggest week, the musical fest known as South by Southwest or SXSW to those who are cool. As you looked at people there that weekend, you just had to know that many of them were actually musical.

We went to Austin to see a band play -- not in SXSW but in a bar that happened to be in the midst of SXSW but was in no way affiliated with SXSW. The bar was a mexican restaurant by day/"Americana" music stage by night. And if you're wondering what Americana is, you're not alone. I was wondering myself. It seems Americana is what used to be known as Alt-Country 10 years ago, but it has grown to encompass anything that sounds down-home or woodsy. The first band we saw was Generic Country, almost Literal Country. It was one good-haired guy with what looked like the recovering alcoholic all-star jug band behind him. Actually, they had an old guy who played the stand-up sttel guitar, and if I were a fan of Literal Country I could see liking it. The lyrics were very plain, and mostly involved workin' hard, drinkin' hard, and lovin' hard. Like I said, Literal Country.

Then the band we came to see hopped on stage. We (and by that I mean my wife Jill, and our friend/her former student Molly, and 2 of Molly's friends from Texas Tech. At least I think they were from Texas Tech. It was me and a bunch of girls, in any case. College all over again.) were there because the guitarist in the band is a former student of Jill's from Rockford Lutheran High School, Dan McMahon. I mention this because I want people to find this blog entry when he gets really famous. Anyway, the band's name is The Wandering Sons, and they floored me with how good they are.

(side note: I just heard thunder, which means that somewhere in my home, my dog is pooping. Now back to Tying Up Loose Ends)

Seriously, I was not expecting this. What do they sound like? As Jyro Xhan would say, see for yourself. It's not hard to describe, it's just hard for me to describe. They sound like a band with the name "The Wandering Sons" should sound, you know what I mean? They're blues-Americana, I guess. I've already established I don't really know what Americana is. Anyway, they're good, and you should demand to check them out. They're based out of Appleton, WI of all places. Can anything good come from Appleton? You decide.

Ok, I just thought of who they sound like -- they're like old ZZ-Top, only more acoustic and with someone who can sing.

If the hotel we stayed at was a brand of coffee, it would be General Foods International Coffees. It was like Pentecost at the complementary continental breakfast, on account of all the different languages that were being thrown down. Quick Hits about Austin, the city:
  • The Terrain: Beautiful, green, and hilly. No wonder they call this "hill country".
  • The Scene: Built completely around U of Texas and Cool Music. It's fun compared to Dallas, which is built around People With Too Much Money.
  • The Traffic/Road System: Unconscionably horrible. The city was layed out by chipmunks, apparently.
  • The People: Now, a lot of people were there just for SXSW, but it seemed like a college town, which is always interesting and good.
We made it through breakfast and made it home, and the Wandering Sons came to stay at our apartment for a night. For those of you keeping score at home, that's two cool bands that have stayed at our abode, and none at yours. They are good guys and great at the "music". I'm listening to them right now, and I don't even like old ZZ Top. Part of my enjoyment is no doubt due to the fact that I know the guitarist involved. You always like the bands that involve your friends, unless you are some sort of hyper-objective tool.

Moving way on to the NFL Draft, let me just say that Aaron Rogers holds the ball dorky. I don't know if that's good or bad, but people seem to be talking about it.

Sideways and Zero Day have been sitting in my house for over a week, waiting for me to watch it. I've already whined way too much about having no time to watch the stuff that I want. I did watch the entire first season (8 episodes) of Joe Schmo, which was awesome. My wife says it was cheesy and sappy, which it was, but it was also bizarrely earnest and real for a show built around fooling a person. What happened was, they picked the single most upstanding archetypal American "dude" and created this crazy show around him. He lived with a bunch of actors pretending to be reality show contestants, who all had their storylines that they had to live out in front of the "dude", Matt, every day. It was quite the social experiment, and Matt consistently looked like the greatest dude ever (for example, he gave a trip he had won to another "contestant" because she had been injured in a game). So, when it came time to tell him the truth about the show, all the actors were mortified because they really didn't want to hurt the guy. They all ended up loving him. That's what made the end so earnest and cheesy. It was great, though -- but don't let your kids watch it, for reasons that will become clear during the first game -- "Hands on a High-Priced Hooker". Yeah, it was on SpikeTV, so there are lots of strippers involved in the whole thing.

Meanwhile, on Alias, is the fake Sloane cool or what? This season was kind of spinning it's wheels, and then bam!, fake Sloane. Maybe he's Sloane's brother or something. Or Sark in disguise. Now that would be something, and it's speculation like this that makes the show so much fun. At least once an episode, I should think to myself, "Where do they come up with this stuff?" That's not been happening much this year (although I did think that during the whole "Freeze-dried guy" episode. Finally, they did something really cool, although they just had to bring back that big red ball with it.

And if you notice that AdBar up top moving around and becoming different, don't worry. I'm just experimenting with it to try to a) get relevant ads (unlike the constant barrage of homocon and blog hosting); and b) not cover up anything I want seen. They're now (if Blogger publishes correctly) sort of intermixed between the posts. Until I figure it out, eat it.

I think my work is done here for the day.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:57 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    I love posting barrages of comments to your blog. Here's another: Joe Schmo is, in fact, awesome. Season 2, or at least what I saw of it, was also awesome. But I did not see much. I wanted to watch it all on DVD, but there aren't even plans to put it out yet. Which sucks. As cheesy and sappy as Joe Schmo S1 ended up being, I don't really care that it was that way. The guy really did seem like THE nicest guy ever. They pretty much tried to cast the nicest, most trusting, not-so-smart-but-very-likeable guy to be the hero on purpose, according to some casting special I saw. Good idea. It wouldn't have worked well if there had been two of The Hutch. But, still. Man do I love The Hutch. I also love Matt saying "I mean when The Hutch won, I was like 'What the F***?'" or something of that nature.

    As for the fake sloane, I haven't seen most of S4 of Alias. I finished Season 3 this week, and I have bittorrented the next 17 episodes of Alias (and seen about a third of them). I'll watch 'em in order, starting tomorrow. But I was pretty tipped off that there was a second sloane of some sort, since last week's episode was called "Another Mr. Sloane." I hope he's actually cool, as you say. I didn't read further than that sentence, but it had better be cooler than The Second Francie and The Time in Season Three When Lauren and Sidney Had Mission Impossible Style Masks of Each Other.

    That's all I got. For now. But I'm sure I have more comin' down the line.

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    Dangit, I knew there was more. It's about the "americana" debacle. Alt.Country or Alt-Country or whatever--it still stands. People still say it. But let me tell you, it's gettin' hot. It's popular, it's even gettin' trendy. And, for that matter, it's actually getting better as more and more people are doing it well. But, then again, it's all getting blurry, since people have started to shift it and make it slightly differently, or to use little hints of influence from alt.country bands...it's a big, unclassifiable mess, which is maybe the ultimate resting place of any music that's around long enough to get digested and regurgitated by new bands, now that I think about it.

    This is getting a little heady. What I meant to say was, Americana as a classification pisses me off, becuase it's so nondescript. At least Alt.Country has some sorta tracable roots...Americana is just what bands with some country influence seem to call themselves when they don't want to explain that not all country music is alan jackson. And thank God all country music isn't Alan Jackson.

    In the last week, I've heard the following records be called Americana with a straight face: 1.A singer/songwriter that sounds like My Morning Jacket meets Iron and Wine. 2.A singer songwriter that sounds exactly like the first couple of REM records, with no discernablet race of country 3.A band that sounds like The Killers meet Led Zeppelin, also no trace of country.

    So, you see, Americana, IMO is largely stupid and invented. Lord. Whoever invented pigeonholing and classifing music as strictly one thing or another was an assclown. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go download some Freak Folk records.

    PS: I didn't say this before, and it doesn't matter now, but a lot of people call SF59 Shoegazer, which is also a redick name for a genre. I think they may also be SlowCore, but slowcore is worse. It's only the absence of fast songs. Man, I gotta just go to bed.

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger drew said…

    "it's a big, unclassifiable mess, which is maybe the ultimate resting place of any music that's around long enough to get digested and regurgitated by new bands"

    i truly believe this. the music my ex-former-once-upon-a-time band used to play could fit nowhere. indie rock? post-hardcore? rock? every time someone asked me what kind of music my band played i pretended to be asleep so that i wouldn't have to answer.

    and i disagree about shoegazer. i like it. whether ST59 is shoegazer or not, i dare not debate here. but anyone who's been at enough rock shows can relate to kids with hands in their pockets, long hair hanging over their eyes, staring down at the floor (their shoes). this only happens with slowish, rockish, riffish, droning core-esque rock music. it's important to point out, though, that the music i call shoegazer rock is different that what mass media music reviewers call shoegazer. fooey to them.

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    The name of the last SF59 album that was in any way "shoegazer"?

    Americana.

     
  • At 1:02 AM, Blogger Danny said…

    now I don't really want ta throw a monkey wrench in ta this here debate; but I gots to say that Hank Williams III has got to be the grand-daddy of all this here music. His cover of the "classic" country/honkey tonk tune "Thunderstorms and Neon Lights," absolutely bridged the lovers of both kinds of music, that being country and western. He really do deserve a ah-ward of sorts for what he did with that song. He's a genius and a scholar; just like his grandaddy. Now his daddy...his Richard Petty lookin' ass don't deserve the "II" in his name. I reckon we should start a petition to legally ban him from ussurbin' it.
    Also, that shoegazin' comments reminds me of the time I went out to a dirt track bar with this girl name Loretta 'n I didn't have a clue how to dance...boy I betcha I didn't look up one time all night...
    Kind regards from Japan. I think I need a new book to keep me away from leaving comments. Any ideas?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home