This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

I am Ill, but not THAT Ill.

Let's get one thing straight right now: I hate being sick. I'm rarely feeling under the weather these days, but when I am, I don't do anything. That's why I haven't posted in the last couple of days. That, and my parent-in-laws are here. But don't worry, they're fine and we love them. Especially since Jill's family has a tendency to read this. Allie is especially fond of them, so she's not getting much sleep with all the anticipation going on in her head.

Hurricane Katrina Update: Stuck inside sick, I have seen my fair share of Katrina coverage. I finally saw something good yesterday as a news crew (I don't remember which one, or even what channel it was) set up on one of the highways leading out of New Orleans, looking for refugees who were on foot. They found one hick who said he was "alright" and didn't need any help. Then, like eight punked-out teenagers walked by, and the news crew actually did something useful -- they let one of the punk girls call her dad, a pastor in Ohio, on the news crew's cell phone. It was moving, because you could feel the love on the other end of the line as this father found out his daughter was ok. They made arrangements for dad to come get the punks in a church van. Finally, the news does something that helps people.

They also found three nurses traveling on foot, who told how bad the situation was in the flooded and blacked-out hospitals. Brutal stuff.

In happier, more useless news, I watched Wisconsin beat Bowling Green (whose name I was fascinated by as a child) 56-42. It was maybe the most entertaining college football game I've ever watched. As my wife said, "I might start liking football if they scored that much all the time." Is Wisconsin for real or for fake? Nobody knows. But I feel a lot better about things now that I've seen the running game is still up and running.

Does anyone else care about both hurricanes and Wisconsin football? Probably not. But just so I can be sure I'm alienating everybody, I will mention that my Fantasy Football draft happened this morning (it was automated), and I got pretty much everything I wanted out of it, save the fact that somebody took Peyton Manning first instead of LaDainlian Tomlinson like they should have, so I was stuck with the very fat but also stats-fat Daunte "The Butcher" Culpepper at no. 2. Everything else went well. You should see my receivers, dude. I also got the defenses I wanted, a kicker I like, and the special teams I hand-picked. So this year, when I fail, it will be all my fault.

Since nobody is still reading this after the last paragraph, I will finish this with the very controversial "The Pack is Back."

1 Comments:

  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    By "blacked-out" you mean without electricity, right?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home