This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Friday, September 09, 2005

It's Cricket Season at Work Again...

...and you know what that means: lots of stepping on them as they jump around aimlessly. If crickets were smarter, we couldn't kill them. They'd probably take over the world, in fact.

Today is the first day in a week that I haven't felt sick. Thank Jesus for that. I hate being sick because it takes my already scattered and pathetic mind and causes it to run at half-speed. I also probably lost all the conditioning I had built up through running the past few weeks. God obviously has a plan for this though, no matter what you think.

Cleaning up something from last week that slipped through the cracks: D'Angelo Lee, Dallas County Planning Commissioner, resigned last week after an investigation uncovered some less-than-ethical dealings he made while on the commission. It was shown that Mr. Lee used three different birthdates for himself when filling out the nomination paperwork for the position (huh?), and had $1600 in unpaid parking violations. More importantly, Mr. Lee "used his appointed City Hall position to solicit a loan for a private development deal in which he had a hidden financial interest." I suppose that's the more serious thing. He went to a bank as a representative of the city, and got a loan for a development that he had a personal stake in. Using city money for personal gain -- what is this, Chicago? Milwaukee? Corruption is clearly everywhere, and there's nothing we can do to stop it except reducing the size and scope of government. Nowadays it seems like Rebubs and Democs only want to increase it, albeit in different ways. Support your local Libertarian, even though he/she probably has no idea how to deal with things like Hurricane Katrina cleanup.

I know it's basically "organized brutality with pretty colors" and against everything I really stand for in life, but man, it's great to have football back. Now, get rid of baseball and bring on basketball, and the world will be a perfect place. How do I even get through the summers these days, when sports consists exclusively of a bunch of things I've "grown past" (baseball, NASCAR, WNBA, golf, tennis)? Mexican food, and lots of it.

I know I've fallen asleep on this whole Sweet Sixteen thing. They're coming, I assure you. Get off my lawn.

Three (3) people are concurrently trying to send me faxes. This can't be a good sign. Yesterday I got a fax that could change my life! Dr. Wada Mazedu Bsc, (SAU) MSc, MNIM, Ph. D, who is a "Director, Project Implementations" in Pretoria, South Africa, sent me (actually, it was addressed to "President/CEO," but likely not really meant for him) a "Strictly Confidential & Urgent" fax about a very hush-hush and important business deal. Dr. Mazedu and his cohorts in the Project Implementation crew have 14.5 million dollars (gotten, he admits, through illegal overcharging of contractors) they want to transfer to the U.S., and they need somebody to help them do it. If I follow their instructions, they will give me 30%. Wowza! That could buy a lot of mexican food! All I need to do is call the number on the fax and give them a bank account they can transfer the funds to (and keep it hush-hush, of course), and my life will change. Of course, the number's in South Africa. I'm thinking of trying to fax it back to the number listed -- with the words, "Apartheid Now!" blasted across the thing. Do people actually fall for these scams? Yikes.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    Disown me? Is this mom? Dad? Say it ain't so! I'll do better, I promise! Who is this?

    I have not heard this craziness yet, because there is a lot of craziness I just don't hear for one reason or another. I will investigate and totally rip somebody, I assure you.

    I was already planning on writing about how insurance companies are trying to weasel out of paying Hurricane insurance claims by saying that the damage was caused by flooding, not a hurricane. That's just amazing.

    You have highlighted the one huge difference between the two events and the victims thereof - advance warning. Of course, there are special cases (such as the people in the nursing home who were left for dead), but by and large we need to keep some perspective.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home