This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Friday, September 10, 2004

Real World off the Top of My Head, Plus...

The newest season of MTV's The Real World (Real World: Philadelphia) started on Tuesday. It has become a show I hate -- and I use that word on purpose, knowing how strong it is -- but I can't help but watch. It's a train wreck, or should I say that the cast is a train wreck. They crash and burn, and seem to get more shallow/insane/homogeneous every year. Seriously, in the 6 seasons I've been watching, including the current Philadelphia, there has not been one cast member that the world would consider "unattractive". Not one. Plus, all of them seem to binge drink, be up for a par-tay every night, and practice moral equivocation like Tiger practices his short game.

Part of the problem is me growing older while the ages of the Real Worlders stay the same. They seem so stupid. I don't remember me or anyone around me being that stupid when they were 19-23. I mean, I'm not naive, but what's up with the partying every night? If left to their own devices, do young attractive people all devolve into sluts? And I don't just mean the girls, either. These people seem to get their whole view of male-female relationships from a combination of Cinemax movies and, well, previous seasons of The Real World. By that I mean, everybody's looking for sex all the time, as long as everybody else is up for it. And that's an overgeneralization, but just barely -- Even the ones that don't have sex on camera "hook up" with other people that the audience never get to meet (see: Jacquese and Jamie in San Diego last year). I thought I heard the opening say that these people were supposed to be from diverse backgrounds. Chemically impaired Frat Guy from Tennessee and Insane Sexaholic from Florida and Really Gay Guy from New York may seem like different people, but they're more the same than different. If you put all of their personal characteristics in a ven diagram, there would be a lot of overlap, let me tell you.

Where are all the moral youngsters I keep reading about? Do they not exist? At least work in some non-hedonists, or at the very least some non-narcissistic hedonists.

But you better believe I'm watching next week. There just HAS to be a train wreck.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger jill said…

    actually, there was a chubby dumpy chick once. and i believe that you referred to the fake-boobed chick on this season's real world as a warthog.

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger jill said…

    and you need to change the time on this blog. i don't want people thinking that we're the plastics of california.

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    Shh. I don't want them to find me.

    She is a warthog. But I'm sure MTV is thinking people will like the way she looks, with the fake boobs and all. And were you talking about Aneesa? She's the last one that I remember being in any way dumpy. But she made up for it by being naked all the time.

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Blogger jill said…

    you thought aneesa was dumpy??

    no this chick was from way back. and i think she was british.

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    Well, back in the day you didn't have to be a model/bodybuilder to get on the show. There have been ugly people on the real world, to be sure, but no real bow-wows since New Orleans.

    I think my problem with Aneesa and the Warthog is that they are so ugly on the inside that it colors my perception of their outside. I mean, look at me: I'm a black lump of coal on the inside, and therefore my hair fell out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home