This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Friday, June 03, 2005

One Post a Day Keeps Yo Mama Away

This post is simply a look behind and a look ahead.

Behind:
I was not able to attend that computer vendor training event on the 24th of May. That bit, but I had to work at Papa John's that night. At the event, apparently our HR manager was picked to win $1000, but he had gone home for the evening and so forfeited the prize. Poor guy.

I saw the premiere of Beauty and the Geek last night. The show has promise, let me tell you. Not Super Sweet Sixteen promise, but you take what you can get these days.

This week at real job has been dinosaur hell. They keep making me do the thing that brings me to the dark place in my mind with the inverted-color trees like in the opening to Tales From the Darkside. It's been so bad I have made a rule with myself to not think about work when I'm not here (I'm at work right now). I don't usually go for coping mechanisms (they being the gateway drug to things like alcoholism and watching soap operas), but this one seems appropriate. If I don't do this, I'll be a grumpy gus all day.

The other night at Papa John's it was totally dead, and the Assistant Manager (who just got back from fighting in Iraq) had us cleaning all sorts of things. This was horrible, but kinda fun since I got to scrub this one cutting board for basically the whole night. When I was done, what had been a drab discolored mess was white as a Mormon church. But that's not the super fun part.

You see, we were cleaning because the store manager had had his job threatened by the Area Manager, Man Bob Bill (MBB). MBB had clandestinely come to the store in the middle of the night the previous week just to look for stuff that was dirty. He gave the store manager a list of things to get clean. Store Manager waited until the night before MBB was supposed to come back and re-check everything, handed the assistant manager the list, and told him to get it done. Isn't that nice? The Assistant Manager got all the stuff done, but not before Store Manager called him at like 10pm and told him to send people home because he was wasting labor. The Assistant Manager had a problem with this, understandably.

There are 2 things the previous story demonstrates: 1) when your job is on the line you should probably care enough to at least supervise the work that is needed to be done and 2) MBB's emphasis on clandestine checkups and cleaning goes a long way toward explaining why we're so dead at night.

I probably won't get to many more "Things To Do to Become a Dallasite" or whatever. I've got like 12 in my car that I might post, but those who said that coming up with 53 non-redundant things to do would be hard were right-on.

Ahead:
Comments on the first Beauty and the Geek episode, a State of the Milwaukee Bucks address, a long-overdue analysis of the last Survivor season, and much, much more.

I gotta go -- work is taking me to the dark place again, and I have to find some way to cope.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:38 AM, Blogger NakedHobo said…

    So, if you are in dinosaur hell, does that make you a nymphoid barbarian?

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    No, but I could sure use some. And I'd like to thank you for getting the reference. Ever since I saw the ad for that movie the title has been burned into my brain. That was at least 10 years ago. There must be something about the concept of "Dinosaur Hell" (not to mention "Nymphoid Barbarian") that's appealing to me.

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger NakedHobo said…

    of course I got the reference, I mean, I am the guy that has an Apex poster.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home