This is Epth Nation

Epth is a state of mind, not a place. Reading this will give you a virtual drivers license in that state, but you'll still need to be 21 to purchase alcohol. And you can't get any there anyway, so stop asking.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Really Really Super Quick Hits

I've never seen two people less comfortable in their own faces than Greta Van Susternenenen and Bill "Feel Your Pain" Clinton. Bill's talking about the whole Pope thing right now..."I don't approve of what His Holiness said..." Parsing that single sentence would make my brain fold in on itself. If he's holy, how can you not approve of what he said? This guy was a Rhodes scholar?

The Pope can't apologize -- he's infallible (according to Catholicism, that is). Don't the Muslims know that? I especially like it when people say things like, "The Pope shouldn't be inflaming religious tensions, and if he doesn't step down you will all be sorry." It's so...Schwarzenegger movie.

Speaking of the world, did you guys know that the crazy Palestinian Hamas government pretty much decided to recognize Israel as having a right to exist? To, like, negotiate with and stuff? At least that's what I hear. Looks like those sanctions worked. Probably won't stop the car- and other-kinds-of-bombs, though.

A couple of nights ago I delivered a 10 pizza order to UTD, the ultra-rich and poorly-named University in Richardson. The lady who signed the slip tipped me three bucks, then crossed out "tip" on the charge slip and wrote "delivery" right next to it in her old-woman scrawl. What does that mean? She didn't want to tip me but felt she had to give me money? Was that an insult? Yes, it was a delivery, but why did you cross out "tip" and then give me a tip? And is 3 dollars really enough to give a guy who delivered you 10 pizzas at 12 bucks a pop? That's 2.5%, by my estimation. On second thought, you were right -- that's not a tip at all. That's a delivery, and nothing else.

Yeah, so gas prices, eh? Thanks to all the hurricanes out there for not hitting us, and to Israel for backing out of Lebanon, and to Alaska for getting their pipe together, and to America for not buying the gas-guzzling products of Ford.

Both volumes of Kill Bill are on cable TV tonight. I just watched the Umabomber kill like 80 asians. I can't believe they're showing this on TV. There's blood and limbs everywhere.

Actual lead story on Channel 8 (ABC) local news: What's Going Around -- What sickness has your kids coughing? It better be cholera.

"Fossil Hunters" have found what they're calling the "oldest baby." She apparently walked upright but also swung from trees over 3 million years ago. Wow -- just like me! Probably, that is. There's always the probably. I'm assuming they have a good reason to make all these statements. What they've found is a skull...they're claiming this animal walked upright. In any case, it's an interesting case in what science is doing and what conclusions they're jumping to. Go science!

I had a dream the other night that my dog could exist in several different places at once. She also had a human form she could turn into, an Indian boy. When I asked him/her if he/she could talk to dogs, he/she shrugged his/her shoulders. I don't know what this means.

Also on the news: Starbucks prices are rising! Geez, I know Starbucks is ubiquitous, but come on. This is news? Oh my gosh -- it's going up a nickel! Papa John's goes up that much every three days and doesn't tell anyone!

Caught the end of Survivor: Racism Island tonight. Saying anything more would get me in trouble, so I'll run something past legal and maybe post it tomorrow. Such is life in 2006. Hey, don't blame me, you were the one born in this day and age.

Good night.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger Danny said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger Danny said…

    Why shouldn't the Pope stand up a little and be recognized, for more than his Hitler Youth past...really though, I feel as though his statements were nothing more then citing history and opinion. Of course there is a "rift" between Muslims and Christians...they do have a bit of a history. Not as though it was a call to arms or anything. Wasn't even that offensive. Just as Christians had the Crusades, the "New World" and the Spanish inquisition (which nobody expects) Muslims have had their points in time when a bad idea has been a little too easily accepted...in the end we should all be happy that the Catholic Pope doesn't talk the way the American Conservative Christian Pontifff Pat Robertson does.
    If they really want to solve the whole "Angry Islam who Reacts to Anything" problem I've got one idea, more Ziggy Comics in Muslim Daily Papers.

     
  • At 11:32 AM, Blogger Mike Pape said…

    Danny I agree with *everything* you said, and I think it's disturbing the way that Islamic world politics works. I also wish the "media" would cover it in a more logical way and put it in a historical context so that it doesn't just seem like "the Pope said something controversial and now Muslim's panties are in a bunch." It's their job to report better, isn't it?

    Ziggy. Family Circus couldn't hurt, either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home